DISCIPLESHIP IS ALL ABOUT DYING TO SELF.
By Pastor John Sigudla
25Those who love their life in this world will lose it. Those who despise their life in this world will keep it for eternal life. 26All those who want to be my disciples must come and follow me, because my servants must be where I am. And if they follow me, the Father will honor them. John 12:25-26
- We have been called to be the disciples of Jesus Christ all of us. Discipleship is not for certain individuals.
- Discipleship is not for the matured Christians only.
- Discipleship is for all new and old believers to grow in the knowledge of Christ.
- Discipleship is a command from Jesus our Master and it is not a church program.
- Discipleship is a lifestyle of each and every Christian, young and old rich and average, black and white, Jews and Gentiles.
- DISCIPLESHIP HAS TO DO WITH DYING FROM ONESELF. VERSE 25
Those who love their life in this world will lose it. Discipleship has to do with pleasing God and not man. When you are a disciple of Christ, you become a dead man’s pleaser, but you then become God’s pleaser and that is not what the world want.
If we are Jesus’ disciples we simply despise our lives of pleasing people by simply telling others about Christ and mature them to the knowledge of Christ, then they become, spiritually matured Christ followers and they in turn tell others about Christ. 2 Timothy 2:2. The rewards of doing such according to the scriptures is eternal life that is set aside for all who obeys the Great Commission together with those that would have responded to the gospel of Jesus Christ. Verse 25.
- DISCIPLESHIP IS INTENTIONAL AND NOT OBVIOUS. Verse 26
26All those who want to be my disciples must come and follow me, because my servants must be where I am. And if they follow me, the Father will honor them.
- Those who want to be Christ disciples must make a discussion intentionally to follow Christ daily and not sometimes when it is pleasing to them according to John 12:26.
- Those who are Christ disciples, will be where Christ is always, telling people about the saving knowledge found in Christ the anointed one of God.
- If we follow Christ that is discipleship, walking in his footsteps, the Bible says “the Father will honor them” Verse 26
- Many believed in Christ, but they never confessed him publicly since they wanted to be honored by men rather than honored by God. John 12:42 -43.
- These Pharisees they didn’t confess Christ fearing that they will be kicked out of their synagogue. Thus church programs and pleasing man was of the uttermost importance to the Pharisees. That is not discipleship.
- Remember the Priest and the Levite who passed the beaten man on the road to Jericho!!!. They had no interest to this Jew was dying on the ground since they had something serious according to their religion to fulfil rather than helping the dying stranger on the road to Jericho.
- APPLICATION IN OUR LIVES.
- How many are on the dying mode and we pass them on the daily basis since they are not members of our church? Gone are those days that we only help people who are next to us. Let us open our net and allow all people to come in and enjoy the love of God through our selfless service of the Master carried in our hearts. Then we shall be called the disciples of Jesus Christ.
- The real honor comes from the Father our God when we follow Christ. if we become what Christ says we must be. Follow in his steps and winning souls for the kingdom.
- Having no pleasure for this present world.
- Taking whatever money, car, home of mine be used for the sake of spreading the gospel of peace to the whole world.
- We have no more time, people are dying of drugs, crime is escalating because of poverty, education is no longer regarded as discipline to the educated, and crime is committed by even those in high places of job and status. The respect of many influential figures is no longer there. Our country need more than we use to pray and we need to double our efforts in prayer and seek God’s face like never before.
- GOD WILL HONOR THOSE WHO TAKES HIS WORD SERIOUS AND MAKE DISCIPLES OF ALL NATIONS. VERSE 26 “and if they follow me, My Father will honor them”
Who is honoring you? Blessed are those that are honored by the Father. Verse 26
God be with you.
Originally posted on Discipleship is all about dying to self