As we establish a habit of prayer, we also need to pick a quiet place for prayer where we won’t be interrupted.
Christ went into the wilderness to be alone with His Father, but for most of us, it will probably be a room
in our home. Wherever it is, it will be like an altar where we meet with God to share our concerns and have
fellowship with Him.
Because Jesus lived an itinerant lifestyle, His place of prayer changed as He traveled, but prayer was always
a priority in His life and should be in ours as well. Here are some of the features and benefits of having a
dedicated prayer space:
• IT’S A PRIVATE PLACE. Jesus said to go into an inner room and close the door (Matt. 6:6). If we
are really serious about finding a quiet area to be alone with the Lord in prayer, He will provide one.
It may require a little creativity and adjustment on our part, but God wants to meet with each of us
privately so we can develop an intimate relationship with Him.
• IT’S A HOLY PLACE. When we habitually meet with the Lord in the same place each day, it becomes
holy because it is set apart to worship and commune with Him. It becomes a visual trigger. We quickly
adjust to the setting and are immediately ready to talk to the Father—because that’s what happens
there. Some of the greatest things He accomplishes in our lives are the result of the relationship we
have with Him in that secluded place of prayer.
• IT’S WHERE OUR BATTLES ARE FOUGHT. Every time we go through difficult situations or
conflicts with people, we should bring our concerns to our heavenly Father and engage Him in
helping fight our battles. We need His guidance, assistance, and wisdom to know how to respond
and what to do. There will be times when no one else can help us, but He is always there to comfort,
strengthen, and encourage us.
• IT’S WHERE WE DEAL WITH OUR SINS. As we open His Word and our hearts before Him, we
have an opportunity to confess our sins and ask Him to convict us of anything in our lives that
is contrary to His desires for us. As we pray, we must give the Lord time to speak to our hearts.
Sometimes He uses a passage of His Word to convict, encourage, or direct us, and at other times His
Spirit communicates inaudibly with us in our hearts.
• IT’S WHERE WE DEVELOP AN INTIMATE RELATIONSHIP WITH THE LORD. There are times
when we pray with others or together as a family, but it’s only in our private times with the Lord that
we grow to know Him intimately and have the freedom to honestly and openly share our hearts with
Him. This is the most important activity of our lives—communing and fellowshipping with the Lord
• IT’S WHERE WE LAY DOWN OUR BURDENS. God daily lifts our burdens, carries our concerns,
and forgives our sins when we confess them.
• IT’S WHERE WE WEEP OVER OUR TRIALS AND HEARTACHES. When we go into our prayer
room and cry out to God, He understands and mends our broken hearts.
• IT’S WHERE WE FORGIVE OTHERS. The Lord not only forgives our sins but helps us battle
through our hurts so we can forgive others.
• IT’S WHERE WE ARE STRENGTHENED. In this holy place we have the privilege of discussing every
area of our lives. As we pour out our hurts, sorrows, and burdens, the Lord comes to strengthen us.
Where do you go to pray? Having a dedicated place to come before God helps us focus and prepare our hearts
to hear from Him. Even when we’re on the go, we can set aside a time and place to talk with God, which ought
to be our greatest priority every day.